Itineraries from Moreton in Marsh
The following is a suggested 3-day itinerary for a short break based in Morton in Marsh. It is designed so that each day a different part of the Cotswolds can be explored using public transport - a combination of rail and bus.
DAY 1: Into the ancient forest of Wychwood
- Travel by train from Moreton to the small market town of Charlbury on the Cotswold Line. Charlbury is snugly situated in the Evenlode Valley well away from busy main roads. It looks across the valley to the fine 600 acre Cornbury Park estate almost surrounded by the great woodlands of Wychwood Forest. Whilst in Charlbury, pay a visit to Cornbury Park, owned by Lord & Lady Rotherwick, part of which is a National Nature Reserve where many forms of wildlife, including fallow deer, roam freely. Access to the reserve is via a public footpath which runs through the forest.
- Take the return train to Moreton
DAY 2: A walk on the Cotswold Way from Chipping Campden to Broadway
- Take the bus service 21/22 (Johnson's Coaches) to Chipping Campden
- Walk the Cotswold Way over Dover's Hill - the site of the Cotswold Olympick Games which takes place in June each year and first held in 1612.
- Take in the fine views across 16 counties from Broadway Tower/
- Drop down into Broadway – enjoy a well deserved refreshment in one of many excellent restaurants, inns and tea rooms.
- Return to Moreton in Marsh by bus service 21/22
Day 3: Travel the Fosse – in the footsteps of the Romans
- Take the Pulham's bus service 801 from Moreton to Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-Water and Northleach.
- Stop off at each of these classic, picturesque Cotswold towns and explore their hidden delights.
- Return from Northleach to Moreton